Monday, December 15, 2014

Interview with Google CEO Larry Page, Why Overlord Ttechnology Companies Decline

Google is at the top of its gameand its chief executiveLarry Pageis pursuing a growingnumber of ambitious “moon shots” that could transform transportationmedicinetheInternet itselfand morePages intensity of purpose and his companys GOOG 1.13% stellarfinancial results earned him recognition as Businessperson of the Year in Fortune. (See thecover story of our Dec. 1, 2014 issue, “Larry PageThe most ambitious CEO in theuniverse.”)
专访谷歌CEO拉里o佩奇:为何霸主级科技公司会走向衰败
In a wide-ranging interview ahead of the articles publicationPage discussed with Fortune whydominant technology companies fade and how Google hopes to evade that fateamong otherthingsHere are a few excerpts of his words from that interviewedited for clarity.
On why dominant tech companies fail:
Im always asking the questionas the company has grown from a hundred people, “Would Iwant to work for Google?” I think in general the answer is “yes.” Part of my focus has also beenmaking sure that were creating an environment for people who want to ask those questionsand want to be curious and want to be entrepreneurial and want to do things that are reallyimpactful for the world.
If I look at most of the tech companies that I felt have kind of reached a plateau or havegenerally atrophied or something like thatI would say “no,” they werent a good home forpeople who wanted to do those thingsIn general they kind of kept doing the same thingkindof eking out a little bit more scale but not really being a place wher people want to continue toreally do impactful things.
On how Googles fabled moonshotsself driving carsnano-particles for cancerdetectionfit into the arc of the company:
It doesnt feel all that different than its felt before to me in the pastI remember when westarted GmailEveryone was upset with usincluding people in the companylike, “Why are weworking on emailWere a search company.” [We wereless than two hundred and fifty people Ithink when we started Gmailand we were talking about that even before thatI think that waspretty ambitiousgiven the scale of the company.
So given that we have forty thousand people now [Google employs about 55,000 people,actually. —Ed.], the fact that were working on the [self-drivingcar doesnt feel that ambitiousto me.
On seizing the opportunity in mobile:
I think my job as CEOits always to be pushing people aheadIf I were to look at thepercentage of people [workingon mobileits not 100% in the companyAnd nor should it be100%. But it should probably be larger than it is.
I think externally if you asked people on the Streettheyre going to worry mostly aboutmonetization [on mobile]. And I think were doing pretty well thereTheres always more workto be doneI think that search is working well on mobilethe ads on search are working well onmobile.
But the work at this stage is probably more disruptive in nature tooWe really need to say, “Wellif youre on mobilemaybe its easier to call someplaceor its easier to visit the placeorits easier to have help with those things.” So maybe the ads should look a little different orwork differently.
On the recent reorganization that put the fast-rising Sundar Pichai in charge of mostGoogle products:
I only have 24 hours in a dayand any time I can delegate some thingsI shouldIve beenworking with Sundar for a long timeAnd I just started to realize that a lot of the stuff thatcame to me because of our organizational structure around some of the product decision-making that happens day-to-dayhe could do a tremendous job ofand that would free me upthen to do more things.
On former Ford and Boeing CEO Alan MulallyGoogles newest board memberwhohas become Pages latest go-to advisor on management issues:
Im excited about trying to spend more time with him and really learn the lessons hes learnedabout how to run organizations well and efficientlyAnd I think I do a pretty good job of that,but I meanhes like an Aon that scaleand I think there are things I can learn from him.
On why Inboxthe companys newmobile-first email applicationhas features likereminders that make certain message pop up at different times:
You know one of the things theyre trying to do is really make it easier to keep track of tasks.We have Post-It notesWhy do we have thoseI mean its kind of ridiculousWe have thembecause the software is not that good yetA lot of times people actually will send an email tothemselveswhich is kind of insane when you think about itIts not really designed for that,and it gets lost after a whileSo I think thats one of the exampleswhen youre really thinkingabout mobilethe kind of problems you need to solve are different.
On Googles original mission to “organize the worlds information and make ituniversally accessible and useful”:
I think the mission statement is probably a little bit too narrow and were thinking about howto do that a little more broadlyBut I do think weve been talking about it for a while and I thinkits pretty obvious what were doing.
Were also trying to do something that not many other people seem to be trying to dowhich isto make some big bets on some important areasTo make those things really real and to makesure theyre great products for people and they have real positive impact on people and theworld.
I feel a little bit were in uncharted territoryBecause I think that what were trying to doyouknow I cant just look to another company and say, “Ohwe should do roughly what anothercompany is doing.”
To me it feels like the world as a whole is very subscaleWhen I see important things like theself-driving cars or even search itselfand I say is there really enough resource going into that.And I dont think that there isIt could use a lot more resource to make those things better. (www.chinainout.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment